Frequently asked questions

About the ICAC

Does the ICAC investigate every report of suspected corruption that it receives?
Every report the ICAC receives is carefully assessed, but investigation is only one of the options open to the ICAC. Reports may also be referred back to the relevant public authority for action, referred to other agencies if they are outside the ICAC's jurisdiction or used as the basis for corruption prevention work with the relevant public authority.
Can the ICAC deal with allegations of corruption against Members of the NSW Parliament and NSW judges and magistrates?
Yes, because Members of Parliament, magistrates and holders of judicial office are public officials within the meaning of the ICAC Act.
Can the ICAC deal with allegations of corruption in NSW local government?

Yes, because local government authorities are included within the definition of a "public authority" in the ICAC Act. The ICAC can investigate conduct involving councillors as well as employees of local government.

Can the ICAC deal with allegations of corruption in the NSW Police?
The Police Integrity Commission has responsibility for investigating allegations of police corruption in NSW. However, the ICAC has jurisdiction to investigate corruption by police officers where it also involves other public officials who are not police or administrative staff employed by the NSW Police.
Can the ICAC deal with allegations of corruption in the private sector?
No, not unless public officials and/or public authorities are involved or affected. In some circumstances, private contractors and consultants can be considered to be public officials if they are exercising public official functions.
Does the ICAC have the power to prosecute people?
No, however the ICAC can make recommendations that the Director of Public Prosecutions give consideration to prosecuting individuals for criminal offences.