In exercising investigative powers, the ICAC must comply with the:
- Law Enforcement (Controlled Operations) Act 1997 (NSW)
- Law Enforcement and National Security (Assumed Identities) Act 1998 (NSW)
- Surveillance Devices Act 2007 (NSW)
- Telecommunications (Interception and Access) Act 1979 (Commonwealth).
The ICAC must also comply with the following Acts and Regulations which regulate NSW public sector agencies:
- Anti-Discrimination Act 1977 (NSW) and Commonwealth legislation regarding discrimination on the grounds of race, sex and disability
- Annual Reports (Departments) Act 1985 (NSW)
- Crimes Act 1900 (NSW)
- Government Information (Public Access) Act 2009 (NSW) (an access application cannot be made for ICAC information on its corruption prevention, complaint handling, investigative or reporting functions)
- Industrial Relations Act 1996 (NSW)
- Occupational Health and Safety Act 2000 (NSW) and OH&S Regulation 2001
- Ombudsman Act 1974 (NSW)
- Privacy and Personal Information Protection Act 1998 (NSW)
- Public Interest Disclosures Act 1994 (NSW)
- Public Finance and Audit Act 1983 (NSW) and Public Finance and Audit Regulation 2005.